Thursday, June 28, 2012

The New Crowned Jewel of my Garden - Scarlet Tasmanian Poppy Papaver Somniferum

One of my favorite things about gardening is the unexpected surprises that pop up every year. My veggy garden is literally infested with baby cilantro starts but my Poppy garden just bloomed with this gem!
Freshly Bloomed Tasmanian Poppy
 The fun part is that these seeds must have been mixed in by mistake. All of the others have been the traditional white with purple spots. This one sure stands out in the crowd!
Tasmanian Poppy from a different angle
 Aside from the color and wonderful architecture, this beauty is huge! I didn't measure but I am guessing that it is probably 8" across.
Isn't she gorgeous? Should have a few more in the next few days.
I can see that this stalk has 5 or 6 more buds that will be opening up in the next few days. It should be a spectacular display of color! The white and purple variety usally lose all of their petals in a day or so. I sure hope that these last longer.

4 comments:

  1. How beautiful!! I love poppies and have always wanted some for my garden... I've heard they grow well here and would love to give it a try sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please contact me would love to trade seeds etc!!!

    arthur.cusick@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your blog photo's and would like to make a blog like yours. Can you tell me how to put a back ground on. I have done this before. Pam with preciouspawspoppies.com on facebook. Love your pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The white one you call ikkanshu is not the real ikkanshu from japan. Not even close.

    ReplyDelete