Tuesday, June 26, 2012

IKKANSHU-MANIA Ikkanshu Tasmanian Poppy Hybrid

IKKANSHU-MANIA Ikkanshu Tasmanian Poppy Hybrid



Master gardeners and scholars agree that two of the most sought after poppies in the world are the Ikkanshu Poppy from Japan and the Tasmanian Poppy.

Ikkanshu Poppy - primarily found in pharmaceutical study journals, this is probably the rarest poppy in the universe. Since most gardeners have never even heard of it, it hasn't gained the popularity of its other papaver somniferum sisters. Originally found only in Japan, a source of authentic purebred Ikkanshu seeds was almost impossible to obtain. The majority of the information about this mystic flower is written only in Japanese. Because of it's milky white flowers some (unscrupulous) sellers have sold China White Poppy seeds and claimed that they were Ikkanshus. The blue - gray seeds are one of the primary indicators that you are dealing with you are dealing with the elusive Ikkanshu Poppy. The light beige ones are garden variety China Whites. Luckily, I found a source of Ikkanshus that could be verified about 11 years ago.



Ikkanshu Tasmanian Poppy Hybrid
Tasmanian Poppy - The world's pharmaceutical market has been driven by this beauty for the past 60 years. Engineered to be hardy and potent, the Tasmanian Poppy will survive in most environments. Usually identified by its white petals with purple splotches, this powerhouse is easy to identify. They may be easy to ID but good seeds aren't easy to obtain. The Tasmanian Poppy industry is heavily guarded and regulated. My seeds were "blow overs" that were purchased in Tasmania many years ago. I have kept the strain going and cross pollinated them with the Ikkanshus.

Ikkanshu-Mania Poppy - I have been growing poppies for over 20 years and working on this hybrid for the past ten years. After years of research, I realized that blending two of the rarest poppies on earth might make for a wonderful hybrid. The past decade has been dedicated to creating a poppy that would be potent, grow multiple heads per plant, and be fairly easy to grow. The result is my Ikkanshu-Mania Poppy.

Ikkanshu-Manias can be identified by their white / violet streaked petals with purple blotches. Multiple stems will grow from the leave intersections to produce flowers and post. Some plants will produce as many as 15 heads!

Up to 15 pods per plant
The yield of these seeds is astronomically high. Approximately 98% of the seeds are viable and will produce sprouts when planted and cared for correctly. Your success is almost guaranteed as they are very easy to plant and fairly easy to care for and nurture to adult pod producing plants. Probably the most difficult stage of the process is during the 3 weeks after they sprout. They need to be kept moist so that they won't dry out but they are easily washed away if over watered. A little extra care and a light water mister will get the job done quite nicely. Once they reach adulthood they will each produce 6 to 10 flowers / pods.

A limited quantity of Ikkanshu-Mania seeds will be available soon.

Please DO NOT contact me to ask if I will sell you poppy pods of any type! I do not distribute pods of any kind.

35 comments:

  1. how can I purchase some seed from this wonderful Ikkanshu? I've looked everywhere and have been unable to find any seed.
    Thank You,
    ks23235@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. When will these be available?
    gtm20000@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear IKKANSHU-MANIA,
      I am located in NL and we share the same hobby! I really enjoy your blog and at the moment I am starting to grow 'genetics' I personally collected in tas.

      I have searched far and wide for Ikkanshu seeds and so far have always been dissapointed. I would be very grateful if you could share just a few of these precious seeds. I am more than happy to purchase them or swap them for other strains I collected and propogate.

      Much obliged,

      Feel free to email me at: mch@hushmail.com!
      McH

      Delete
  4. Just a thought, it might be much more benificial to keep your cross as an F1. Assuming both parent are homozygous then the F1 would give you the strong advantage of hybrid vigor. If you continue breeding with the F1 traits for both lines are going to seggrerate and it will be difficult to obtain a true breeding hybrid with the best of both. I am currently growing plants for a cross between tas and afghan and tas and burma white. I expect seeds around august. Let me know if your interested.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! Please contact me with any of your more interesting seeds and i can try to make it worth your while. Thank you so much, beautiful blog!

    arthur.cusick@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want the best seeds in the world and that is how I ended up here.

    Please email me.

    Sincerely,
    RemyG.

    Remygossen@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have these seeds availible as Well. Feel free to email me. Liveimmortality@yahoo.com
    Pics availible. Trades concidered. Ty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Я хочу купить . Свяжитесь со мной.

      Delete
  8. Please only do contact me if you are truly interested. Ive had people contact me only to not be. I have a son and a life this is my hobby but it takes personal time away from my family to figure these things out. I value you as a customer please respect me as a seller. Thank you. Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm truly interested, how can i contact you?

      jakobfitch@gmail.com

      Delete
  9. Yes, would like to know how to purchase some of these seeds
    Datboyeezy@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your insight and zeal for poppies is very refreshing. I have been cultivating for a mere 5 years now with ever increasing success and have broadened across 6 differing varieties now. Most of my plants now grow from seeds that I've produced in my own garden. However I am very taken by the description of your poppies and their hardiness. I would very much like to obtain some of these seeds for next year's garden. I look forward to growing this amazing plant.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm definitely interested, especially if you have pure Japanese seeds available. If all you have available is hybrid then I'm still interested. Hit me up and lets discuss. Thank you and take care! drgreenthumb555@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice work
    I'm very interested in buying some seeds.
    Please contact me if you have any for sale.
    andreas.odysseos@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. The post says seeds available soon. I am interested in a source for both the pure ikkanshu and the hybrid. Please contact @ Blackrockranchco@aol.com
    Thank you
    C

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been hunting the elusive ikkanshu poppy for months! Would love to get some seeds if at all possible. I would also be interested in the Tasman cross as well. Please contact me at legendbongs@gmail.com
    Thanks Much
    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed reading your article. I am quite impressed with your efforts in cultivating this hybrid strain. I have been growing poppies in the garden for years. I would truly enjoy adding the ikkanshu or hybrid strain to the other varieties I usually grow each year. If you would be willing to allow me a dozen seeds I would be indebted to you. Please feel free to contact me at my email address. Thanks very much for your time.
    adwal2763@gmail.com
    Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  16. For the curious who want to know more about an interesting thing on the ikkan-shu than make it be THE Strain to grow for every opium growers :

    http://opiumpoppies.org/news/99501904043212.shtml

    Dear Ikkanshu-mania, i red this japanese scientific article, and to that, i really want to get the ikkan-shu. I don't remember if you offers your seeds against money, but i will put the price. Even just for a small amount, like 25-50 seeds.
    Or if you just want to trade, i got about 40s varieties. Some are very interesting, like gigantics of many diffferents forms of pod, or many pharmaceuticals, or many colors of flowers.

    http://monjardinmesmerveilles.blogspot.fr/2012/07/travelling-avant-papaver-somniferum-big.html
    I can give more details of course. So please contact me !
    In consideration of your time and effort, th.crootz

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, Im curious if you still have your original Ikkanshu poppy's that you say you found a reliable source for about 11years ago? Wow.. Nice find. How are they doing? I don't suppose you might have a few extra seeds from those originals, from a recent years harvest, that you might be willing to part with. Guess I'm curious. Let me know, OK? Thanks.
    Inphernix@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. E mail me and let me know how much you charge for mabe 1000 seeds I'd like to grow some of those along w/ the China whites and the Afghan blues they make an interesting hybrid stephenjhawa38@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would love to purchase some of these seeds from you. Please shoot me an email if you have any available ohviewfinder@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very interested in these beautiful poppy seeds. Please let me know
    Marcostarkfalcone@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello, I would love to obtain some of these rare seeds! nexxhexxon@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. This guy is A joke, dont bother. No reply. No seed. And As far as I am concerned ikkanshu remains a ledgend.

    For great , exotic beautifull and 'very high qualiy' poppy variaty seeds check out kykeonpoppies.com. Ledgit: all varieties are excatly as described. Izimir afghan, kykeon white and especially white bush poppy are real gems. The latter just blew my mind in growing potential and hardiness. I am crossing in real tassie (up alkaloidal levels if possiblr) and later will try improve pod size whivh is only disadvantage (many but medium pods). Husling three trait will be quite a hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi. I would like to purchase some of these hybrids. I have genuine Ikkanshu, but am very excited about your crossbreed. I will pay and/or trade. I have many many varieties. Please email me at kitestormrising@yahoo.com . Please put POPPY in the subject line so I don't miss it. Thanks. -Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello I would like to purchase some hybrid seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I was hoping you had some of these seeds for sale... I was really hoping somebody would do something like this, combined these two strains to make beautiful flowers! If it is what you say it is, I'm definitely an interested buyer... Superjorge79@gmail.com I hope to hear from you! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  27. it's not the genuine ikkanshu in this blog. this guy in not legit

    ReplyDelete
  28. Привет . Я хочу купить . Свяжитесь со мной.

    ReplyDelete
  29. How can I get you to answer my question s?

    ReplyDelete
  30. i'm looking for some Ikkanshu, please let me know
    Jakobfitch@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Are these still available? 47crystalz@gmail.com Thank you!

    ReplyDelete